• Redbournbury Watermill in early spring, with daffodils in the garden
  • Bypass sluice above Redbournbury Mill
  • Waterwheel, horizontal layshaft and sack hoist at Redbournbury Mill
  • Redbournbury millhouse and mill
  • Redbournbury millhouse and mill in summer
  • Redbournbury millhouse and mill in winter

Home > The Mill > History > Timeline


Table of notable dates for Redbournbury Mill

1030 A mill on this site was given to the Abbot of St Albans by the local Saxon Lord. The farm house became the Manor Court House. The Abbot's Chamberlain lived here.
1086 The Mill was listed in the Donesday Survey - one of the five most valuable (by rent) in Hertfordshire.
1290 Fire destroys the 'Chamberlain's Mill'.
1539 Dissolution of the Monasteries - properties including the Mill confiscated by King Henry VIII.
1550 Given to Princess Elizabeth in King Henry's will.
1650 A national survey of mills carried out. The Mill, now called Redbourne Greate Mill, was valued at £23 6s 8d p a.
1652 The Mill and surrounding estate purchased by Sir Harbottle Grimston of Gorhambury.
1694 Samuel Clover now held the lease. He carried out a major rebuild of the Mill 'at his own cost'.
1790 Further extension of the Mill and the house.
1840 Mill machinery completely modernised and the three 'in-line' mill stones fitted.
1841 Edward Hawkins (senior) becomes tenant of Mill and farm.
1850 Edward Hawkins (junior) at the Mill.
1855 Edward (junior) died aged 37 - son Henry only 2 years old.
1855-1880 George Harrison and then Edward Arnold had the Mill.
1880 Henry Hawkins took over the Mill.
1916 Ivy Hawkins began milling with her father Henry.
1932 Henry died. Ivy and her mother Julia Hawkins run the Mill.
1936 Much of Gorhambury Estate including Redbournbury reverts to the Crown Estates.
1944 Mrs Julia Hawkins dies. Ivy Hawkins continues at the Mill.
1956 Ivy trapped in the water wheel for over one hour.
1985 Ivy leaves the Mill aged 89.
1987 Crown Estate sell the Mill to current owners on condition that it is fully restored. Later that year a fire severely damages the Mill.
 1997  Crossley Oil Engine restored and installed
1998 Restored Mill again milling.
 2005 Bakery opened
 2009 Waterwheel restored